Handling trouble.

Rolling Roc ('87 16v) had developed the bad habit of snapping to severe
oversteer in left hand sweepers. Very scary if you were not expecting it. I
determined that the right control arm bolt was loose and the entire
alignment was changing in those left hand corners. The bolt could not be
tightened or removed so the captive nut inside the body horn had come loose.
What to do? I drilled the horn from below and above where I could. Remember
the suspension is all still there, I can't get it off. There is the "nut",
it's about an inch and a half long and 3/4" in diameter. Should be simple,
weld that puppy and be done with it. Problem is the mig will not touch it.
No penetration at all. What is this thing made of? I drilled it and it
seemed soft. The filings were magnetic. Should be able to weld this. Out
comes the stick welder and I finally got it with 200 amps. Put it all back
together and it handles fine again. Anyone know what that nut is made of?

Rick Alexander