why is my compression bad? :(

At 05:27 AM 3/3/2003, Rabbit16v wrote:
> > Daun said to run the engine hard to break the rings,
> > IMO he's right.
>
>Like I said, I haven't broken a motor in any other way but all of my
>training and studies as a tech show differently.  Where does it say that you
>should drive a new motor HARD to brake it in?  Plus, where does it say that
>if you DON'T brake your motor in like this that your screwed or whatever
>Daun said??  Just curious.  It might just be everyone's unwritten rule, in
>that case I can understand but to reccomend it as "the way it should be
>done" wouldn't be right in that case.

As the exception rather than the rule, Mercedes-Benz insists (or at least
used to) that you beat the shit out the V8s to break them in right -- after
about 400km (250mi) and only when warm.   I've had great results doing this.

Any new engine I've broken in has had its first 250 miles in one run to
avoid any cold starts.  During that time, it's no more than 1/4 throttle
and no more than 4000rpm, varying engine speed continually.  Between 250
and 500 miles, (as few cold starts as possible), I gradually revved the
engine to redline under load only... i.e. in 2nd and higher gears under
heavy throttle.  Again, vary the engine speed continually.  After 1000km
(500mi), warm up gently and then drive it hard using Mobil One.

My motors have always put out great power (i.e. more than most), had high
and consistent compression, and used very little oil.  And after 80,000
miles on my 1.8 16V, the cross-hatching is still perfectly visible on the
cylinder walls.  ;)

Jason