Tap n' Die Questions - longish

PS:  I find that for a 8mmx1.25 thread, your drill size should be 6.80mm, or 6.9mm as a second choice.  Converting those gives you

0.2677157" and 0.2716527"

(don't gripe about sig. figs, I'm cutting and pasting)

You could go as high as 7.4mm, apparently (0.2913377")

The fractional size in that range is 9/32" (=7.142mm).  The better size, if you have access to Letter sized bits, is size I (=.2720" =6.909").

If you want to be cool like me and have all the bits, order Harbor Freight's 112 piece Titanium coated bit set, which has 1/16" or so to 1/2", Letters A-Z, and numbers 1-60.