[Diagnose: severe clunking]

"Tobias ><" <scirocco16v88@hotmail.com> wrote:

After our little run in the mountains I got my car back bruised. Already =

determined that at least one wheel bearing is shot.

Now, under quick or jerky acceleration, at some low speed on uneven roads=
 I =

get a severe clunking coming from the front of the car. My impression is =
the =

ball joints are toast --- I've never heard what bad ball joints sound lik=
e =

though. No other signs .. no other funky noises or weirdness in the =

steering. No clunking while driving at speed or going around corners (at =

least from what I can hear, which isn't much since the car rattles in eve=
ry =

dang corner)

This sound is like a lose swaybar hitting against the body. I doublecheck=
ed =

the swaybar connections, strut tiebar bolts and anything else that I coul=
d =

pull on or torque down.

The Bentley however fails to diagnose "clunking" hehe, and I can't crawl =

under the car till I get it in someone elses driveway.

Any pointers to the possible culprit are appreciated.

Are the nuts on the tops of the front struts themselves tight? They'll cl=
unk
at exactly those times (loaded/unloaded).  (bad strut bearings probably s=
ound
the same) Cathy