[Diagnose: severe clunking]

<P>Could be a loose front engine mount, I had that before.</P>
<P>Anson<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>"Tobias &gt;&lt;" <SCIROCCO16V88@HOTMAIL.COM>wrote:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>After our little run in the mountains I got my car back bruised. Already
<DIV></DIV>determined that at least one wheel bearing is shot.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Now, under quick or jerky acceleration, at some low speed on uneven roads I
<DIV></DIV>get a severe clunking coming from the front of the car. My impression is the
<DIV></DIV>ball joints are toast --- I've never heard what bad ball joints sound like
<DIV></DIV>though. No other signs .. no other funky noises or weirdness in the
<DIV></DIV>steering. No clunking while driving at speed or going around corners (at
<DIV></DIV>least from what I can hear, which isn't much since the car rattles in every
<DIV></DIV>dang corner)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>This sound is like a lose swaybar hitting against the body. I doublechecked
<DIV></DIV>the swaybar connections, strut tiebar bolts and anything else that I could
<DIV></DIV>pull on or torque down.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The Bentley however fails to diagnose "clunking" hehe, and I can't crawl
<DIV></DIV>under the car till I get it in someone elses driveway.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Any pointers to the possible culprit are appreciated.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>T
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Are the nuts on the tops of the front struts themselves tight? They'll clunk
<DIV></DIV>at exactly those times (loaded/unloaded). (bad strut bearings probably sound
<DIV></DIV>the same) Cathy
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Scirocco-l mailing list