Very OT: looking to get a used laptop

I'm not saying that a 266 MHz can't do everything that you need, it's
just that I don't recommend that you invest any time or money into
getting machine that is that old. You don't ever want to get a machine
that will need replacement in 12 to 18 months, especially in a
notebook. The more money you spend on a computer the longer it will
last you. While you can't see much of a difference between a 1.8 GHz
machine and a 2.8 GHz machine that is being sold today, in 5 years
that extra GHz will be a world of difference.

Your 256 MHz with 256 MB is easily 20x faster then any machine, let
alone a 166 MHz, that only has 16 MB of RAM. My old AMD 386 @ 40 MHz
had 40 MB, anything with this little ram is just ridiculous. While you
can easily add 64 or 128 MB to the notebook, getting memory for a
machine this old is not always easy and some models command premium
prices.

Buying a used notebook can be tricky. Notebooks are always much more
expensive to repair then a desktop. Be absolutely certain that every
single component in the notebook works 100%. Replacing a broken CD-ROM
drive can cost an easy $150 to $300 just for the parts alone in an
older notebook.

Searching eBay's completed auctions for the term "Toshiba Satellite"
that sold between $340 and $380 found 130 machines over the past 15
days. Most are in the 4xx MHz and 1xx MB range, which is a lot more
then what you have listed below.

Let's take this discussion off list.

-Marc

'87 Tornado Red 16v Bogged Scirocco @ 235K miles
http://getty.net/scirocco/=20
'02 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe -
http://getty.net/c230k/
    in Heliodongr=FCn (Citron Green) took European Delivery in May 2002,
    state-side delivery on July 19, 2002, currently at 19,800 miles

 =20