poly-filling upper strut mounts

<P>Thanks for the input, I tried and failed for pretty much the reasons you mentioned. <BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Probably not a good idea for a couple of reasons.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&gt;1. When you say hardware store urethane I'm guessing you mean the stuff in the tubes. It's &gt;not really up to the task as it's not strong enough and takes a long time to dry when used in &gt;large quantities. You can buy the real stuff from McMaster-Carr and mix it yourself. It's a 2 &gt;part mix like an epoxy and relies on a chemical reaction to cure instead of air drying. </P>
<P>Yup, I bought a tube of urethane adhesive from lowes, and I found out precisely what you predicted. I actualy put the mounts in my oven set to 170 for several hours, the urethane formed a&nbsp;nice strong cured layer but the stuff inside remained un-cured.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>&gt;2. If I understand you correctly you want to put it between the metal and the rubber. This &gt;would basically be trying to stretch the material. Urethane is great under compression loads &gt;but isn't the best in stretch or pulling load. In other words it's a lot easier to rip than smash.</P>
<P>I&nbsp;filled the mount from the bottom side, between the part that the upper spring perch touches and the main mount, bit that aclualy bolst to the frame.&nbsp;So had the urethane cured in time (I&nbsp;need to work on that whole planning ahead concept)&nbsp;I believe it would have worked... for awhile anyway.&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;The best thing to do would be to find some of the urethane upper strut bearings made for &gt;our cars. I'm not sure if they are still being made at this point though. A set can make a set if &gt;you find some dasher upper strut bearings and the buy super urethane beetle mounts to fit in &gt;them. They are different from the regular upper strut bearing by having a upside down metal &gt;cup on the top with a large chunk of urethane underneath that is placed under a compression &gt;load. I've had a set on my car for over 8 years and they act like they are new.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;It's really about the only thing you can do. When you put a heavy strut on our cars the front &gt;strut bearings tend to last about 6 months under normal driving before the plate is popped &gt;up about 1/4 to 3.8 of an inch. That's because the higher valving in the strut tries to keep the &gt;shaft from moving as much and the strut bearing moves because it's resistance is now less &gt;than the pressure required to move the shaft of the strut.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Alan
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I'm deffinately actively searching for a set of "domies" or old style rabbit/dasher mounts. But until such time as I locate a set I'm trying to make due with a cheapass-ish method.</P>
<P>Anson</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>----- Original Message ----- </P>
<DIV></DIV>From: Anson Clement
<DIV></DIV>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 8:49 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: poly-filling upper strut mounts
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I'm going to be installing my new H&amp;R/Bilstien setup tommorow and my heart is light and all is well with the world...... all but one thing. My lovely febi upper strut mounts will surely be beaten to death within 6 months of my driving/torture. My thoughts for rectifying this grevious wrong circle around a nasty black substance, no not George W's heart, I'm talking about urethane. What if I squirt cheapass hardware store eurethane (sp?) between the bearing plate and the main mount? Has anyone tried this? If one is looking at the underside of a standard strut mount there as a gap of appriximately 3/8" between the bearing plate and the main body..... why not fill it? I'm sure the ride would suffer a little over potholes but I'm not realy concerned with that aspect anyway.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Yea.... so give me some reasons not to... I'm heading out to lowes right now.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Anson
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>