Water pump....questions

Larry said:
> You will not gain hp.

BZZZZZT! Wrong!

If the belt driven pump is being driven faster than necessary (to produce
the necessary amount of cooling) at any given engine speed, then horsepower
is sacrificed to that demon we call inefficiency. Cooling requirements and
pump output are obviously not related linearly. Therefore, so long as that
electric water pump can be controlled to produce only as much flow as
necessary, there *will* be a net gain in horsepower and torque. The electric
pump eliminates the thermostat as well which reduces losses in the system.
Thus, the pump does not have to work as hard even when it is at full output.

Now, I'm making an assumption here, but I assume that one could easily
install the electric pump backwards and create a reverse flow situation.
Cooling a cylinder head first generally permits running lots more boost,
more compression, more nitrous, etc. Can I get a hand clap? AMEN!

> It still takes x amount of hp to drive a pump, whether it comes
> from the engine directly (via a belt) or indirectly via the
> alternator. An electric pump will just take more hp to drive the
> alternator.

This is absolutely true, but it does not negate the previous points.

> No such thing as free lunch.

Free??? Your'e damned right about that, bud. This thing just cost me $280!
:^)
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut