SOT: Car love

 --- Mike Smith <smithma7@yahoo.com> wrote: >

> I was driving home last night and thinking about the car and my love for it.  I was
> also thinking about my family and their tendancy to roll the eyes or look at me weird
> when I talk about wanting to go to the next Cincy or other VW events or even when just
> talking lovingly about the car.

Ya, my family thinks I'm involved in some sort of "cult"  :-)

> It then occured to me that I have yet to meet a single
> person who has owned a Scirocco and not felt some sort of devotion to it.  It's almost
> as if it's a mind controlling leech or something.  Anyone else have thoughts like
> these?  Have any of you met someone who owned one of these cars and didn't love it?

Nope...  And it doesn't matter how rough your first Scirocco is - even if the rust is
what's holding it together, these cars are addictive.  I sold my friend Sean my old Mk2
winter beater a few years back - it had 450,000km on it and was getting pretty rough
around the edges, but that's all it took to completely hook him on Sciroccos...  Now he
owns one of the cleanest, most meticulously cared-for/maintained 8v's I've seen.  He went
from not even doing his own oil changes to swapping out trannies in an afternoon.  Which
brings up yet another reason to love these cars - anyone with a Bentley and a modest set
of tools can do most of their own work.  They are simple to work on - like the engineers
actually put some thought into making the components easy to remove/replace (well not
ALL...)

> I don't know what it is about roccos, but everyone I know who owns/owned one loves it,
> will defend it to the death, will drive/own other cars but will never give up their
> rocco (unless they (the person, not the car) blow a gasket).  If they do give it up,
> they usually come back.  It like it is the crack of cars.  I could go on and on, but I
> won't.  It's nice to finally be part of a community that
>  feels the same love/devotion/care/horniness for this car we drive.

You said it brother - you should definately come out to Cincy next year, the feeling of
being in a group of like-minded people is pretty cool - completely different to what the
typical Scirocco owner feels the other 362 days of the year.  Until I introduced Sean to
VW's I was the only Scirocco owner in my small city (50,000).  My 13+ years of buzzing
around town in one of these cars has rubbed off on a few more people I think - I noticed
a couple more Mk2's and one Mk1 around here lately...

> On a side note: it's nice to see these cars when I'm driving, but not to the point
> where they're everywhere.  I'm sick of looking at the same Mustangs, rice, etc.  I
> think, no matter how much I love this car, if everyone had one, I'd get rid of it.  I
> used to see other VW's and catch people looking at mine, but VW's are so popular now,
> that most VW drivers don't realize what just passed them.  Therefor it's an even better
> feeling I get when some kid goes by in a hooked up VW and practically breaks his neck
> trying to see the coolest, yet one of the rarest (IMO), VW (Sciroccos in general, not
> mine in particular) pass, looking at it like I still look at Ferrarri's when they pass
> by.

A highschool kid noticed my car the other day when I was walking up to it in a parking
lot and said "cool old-school volkswagen man...", and proceeded to tell his buddies about
how quick they are (maybe I dusted his older brother's ricer Honduh at a stoplight
once... :-)   Made me smile...

> I don't know.  That's just a sample of how I feel about these great cars.  I guess I
> did go on and on a bit.  But, can you blame me?  When the fiancee said "With the money
> we spent on rebuilding your engine, we could have gotten another car." I shrug it off.
> Nothing will replace this car in my heart.  'Cept maybe for my future Ferrarri, but
> there's enough room for two cars.  ;)

You mean your fiancee hasn't figured out that she's #2 yet?  hehehehe  She'll learn...

Believe it or not, your email reflects almost word for word what many people have written
when they first discover this email list.  Enthusiasm like this is infectious - and right
now it's giving me a good "boot to the ass" to get my 81 S running in time for Waterfest.
 Thanks!

Mark.
80 S
81 S