[16v tech] Fueling issues (too much fuel?!)

Until I can afford to finish peicing together my SDS system (need a fuel rail/regulator and lines still), I have to deal with CIS-E. I finally got the car running again by installing the A3 2l headgasket and getting a valve job. Runs ok, except the following:

Major bucking/hesitation when coming OFF of hig.full throttle. I pull back the gas pedal a bit and WHAM, major lag/buck/stutter then it runs fine again.

When driving hard and shifting I notice I get HUGE plumes of black smoke out my exhaust.

Air/Fuel ratio meter reads almost lean-stoich while cold, then as engine warms it reads leaner and leaner until all LEDs are off eventually. I think it may need better power wiring, but I'm not sure.

O2 Sensor is one from a late 80's early 90's Ford or Chrysler. It's new, and a 3 wire, but it was cheaper than the stock $130 one so I bought it and spliced it into my wiring. Hasn't really worked right since I installed it. Wiring is correct and soldered well. Not sure what the deal is there (made my air.fuel ratio meter always read constant, it never jumps from lean to the actual reading liek it used to. Possibly still the a/f gauge hooked up poorly?).

I've cranked the adjustment screw in the CIS-E fuel dizzy until the thing won't run, and it still puffs rich smoke out the exhaust. Also, the idle screw in the TB seems to do nothing until it's almost all the way out. I screw it all the way in, and my idle is still at about 700-900 rpm.

ISV hums along just fine. I pinch off the ISV line and the car almost dies. Apparently it works, eh?

Oh, when I pulled the head, I had a substantial amount of carbon build up on my pistons, yet they regularly see 7000 rpm (several times a day). Not a TON mind you, but enough that I had to wipe down the pistons a bit to actually see my forged lumps again.

Cold starts are rough. Often poor idle that nearly drops into the dead zone (i.e. have to restart).

I never really had problems until i wrecked the 85' and swapped the engine into the 87. I'm using the 87's fuel/wiring system. Both were 16v setups. The 85's donor car was an 87' as well.

Just thought about it, but my air filter may be oil soaked. I overfilled the oil when I reinstalled the head and left a 007 style oil fog when pulling onto the main stretch the first time. But I've had these problems since before the headgasket blew. Basically since I started driving this car.

Best mileage I've seen with this car is 23mpg. Typical is 20 or less. Including highway miles. In the 85' (same motor) I was getting between 25 and 30.

Thanks for your time. Please let me know what you think of my issues. If you can get me a fuel rail for $50 or less, please let me know as well :)

Joshua