Hacking the springs

Ok, wanted to get opinions and thoughts on this. I love the way my suspension feels(H&R Sports and Bilstein Sports for a 16v). However I hate the stance of the car...it leans back and the front sits pretty high. The PO of my last scirocco cut off part of the dead coils on the front springs to lower it a bit more, so I was considering doing this to my car. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Will it make much of a difference in terms of ride quality or the stance of the car? Im not talking about cutting the springs themselves just the bottom dead coils.

-Rich
1988 Scirocco 1.8t