Intake back fire?

Check your cam timing... coulda skipped a tooth on the timing belt.

Sounds familiar to the exploding MK1 I dealt with a week or so ago but that
one was completely off. fortunately we had the intake plumbing kinda
loose... blew the pipe right off the car when it backfired!

  Why do people want me work on their cars???
-Raffi

Just a side comment... the Mk1, a black 1980 Scirocco S, came back to life
last Sunday. It hasn't run in 6+ years and after a new fuel line, 2 fuel
pumps (new pump we installed was defective and crapped out), timing belt,
v-belt, radiator fan switch, etc., etc., etc., and a little rewiring to get
the ignition to spark, a little tuning... the car is a screamer! Old school
suspension techniques sway bars, and a few other pieces... it's rock solid
on the turns and pulls great for a 1.7... Another Scirocco returns to the
black top! Rob will hopefully join us at the next NorCal drive.