From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Allyn
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 4:26 PM
To: scirocco list
Cc: Julie Macfarlane; Ron Pieper
Subject: ok, so who wants rons tranny vid?

ok
there is this thing called "bittorrent"
it allows many users to simultaneously download a large file from one
source simultaneously with this, everyone can get the large (300 meg)
version of the file from me (and possibly brian wagner, as he is the
source of the file) the basic way it works is that you install a
special (tiny) client on your computer. this client launches whenever
you surf to a file ending in .torrent. the client connects to a thing
called a tracker, which tracks who is connected, how much of the file
each person has, etc. each connected client downloads the file from a
'seed' (me and brian in this case). now for the cool part: each seed
sends different parts of the file to only a few of the other clients.
once the clients have bits of the file, the clients spread those bits
amongst themselves. basically, a near-unlimited number of people can
download this 300 meg movie in the same amount of time it would have
taken only one person to download the file from me or brian.

now for the issues:
- we need to setup a time that would be best for everyone to download
this file, as it works better as more people are connected at once.
- once you complete the download, leaving the download window open for
as long as possible will help spread the file, as once you complete
the download, you become a seed for the file (just like me and brian).
- should we include the vwvortex tranny forum in on this (ron? its up
to you
really...)
- i have to set up the tracker to run on this system (its funky, runs
the 'python' programming language, have to compile/run it to get the
tracker
running)

more to come, later tonight.
for now i need to know when a bunch of you can download this file. it
may be as early as tonight (so it can run overnight).

Al