Ignition question, please respond

Okay, I have not had a lot of help except from a very few (and thanks, BTW)

Anyway, here's the dealio:
About a week ago the car started and then died suddenly, like the key was
turned off, and refused to start. I removed the Clifford ignition disable, and
still no start, despite adequate cranking speed, and obvious signs of fuel. No
spark also, and a bit of misdiagnosis about whether there was voltage to the
coil (there in fact is) SO today, (this is after many tries to crank the car),
we jump the coil to the battery and it starts. Then remove the jumper wire,
and it still starts. I haven't run it for long, maybe it'll still die, but
WTF?

A side note, the primary resistance of the coil is at 1.3 Ohms, not the .6-.8
it should be, so do I need to replace that? Secondary resistance tests within
spec., assuming I'm doing it right.

The REAL question is, do I trust it, and is there a likely culprit ( besides
Klaus of course) for this erratic behavior? I'm gone for the weekend
(WOOHOO!!!) and Denny wants to take it to the track. I guess I give him the
CAA card eh? Seriously though, what do you guys/gals think is going on?? ANY
help is appreciated.

cathy