[16v] Timing marks when no belt cover

What would they be? I'm having trouble timing my car since getting it running after having to install a new head gasket. I have the little dot on the flywheel, the line on the cam gear to the line on the valve cover, but the line on the crank pulley isn't quite to the intermediate shaft pulley yet. Do I want to line up the crank pulley line to the edge of the intermediate shaft pulley to ensure I have the crank in the right spot? I can't remember and bentley only gives info for if you have a lower timing belt cover (which I don't).

Joshua