OT- 97 GTI 2.0 Coil and Bentley info/help needed

Well I am still working on my sister's GTI.  She had neglected the basic
maintenance
for some time and it wouldn't start quite often so now I'm fixing it.  I
replaced the plugs
(factory originals with 85K), dist. cap and rotor, front O2 sensor, timing
belt and tensioner
and checked the wires(check good).  When my brother-in-law brought the car
over, it having
stranded him for a few hours not wanting to start, he said someone stopped
to try to help and
they couldn't see a spark from the coil.  Well now that everything is
replaced and back together,
I am seeing the same thing(using a timing light on the coil wire).  I do
not have a Bentley for this
car, just a Haynes, so I don't know if there is a test for the coil or hall
sender and what else could
cause this problem.  It is somewhat intermittent as I have had it running
twice, then the timing
light would go out and the engine stops.  If it were a cheaper part than it
is, about $100 or so,
I would just get one and try it.  Any thoughts?

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe