How big of a breaker bar to remove axle nut?

Andrew Wong wrote:

> The auto store had one that was 15 inches long, I only
> weigh 125 so it might be hard for me to jump on the
> breaker bar to get it off, but I'll get some help.  I
> read somewhere that a 2 ft breaker bar would be ok to
> remove the axle nut.  WOuld 15 inches do or would the
> 2ft be better or even larger?
> Once I get this just maybe I can drive my scirocco
> again.  Also for inner CV's do I buy new bolts for them?
>
> =====
> -Andrew Wong

- You should get a new Axle nut, (although you can reuse it, they are
cheap enough).

- You can reuse the triple square headed CV bolts, be sure to avoid
getting CV grease on the threads though because they are a pain to
have backed out.

- If you figure foot pounds needed for the axle nut (prob. the biggest
job on the car, Ft-lbs wise) you should calculate your given weight
against the length of the breaker bar (always go 1/2" drive or larger)
and do some math. 18" is a minimum for me, (I am somewhere between 175
- 185).

- You should also get a 2" extension for said 30 mm socket and breaker
bar to get the head out away from the rim while you are jumping up and
down on it. (Folks even arrange support under the 'elbow' of this tool
to avoid the bar from angling downward instead of rotating).

hth,
TBerk