Head Rebuild Question

I will take it for granted that it is an 8V head that you are talking about.

Head's combustion chamber face can be milled so long as dimension from head
gasket surface to cylinder head cover gasket surface is not reduced to less
than 5.219 inches.

You will gain around half a point (?0.5) of compression ration if you do so
from a stock head. Your valves will also meet with your pistons if you ever
loose you timing belt.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco