Not revs, tach.

Hey folks:
I previously wrote the following ...

When I'm driving or idling, my '82 8v's revs drop to zero and she stutters
like she's going to stall, and almost does, but then catches and comes back.
That's if I don't give her any gas.
If I step on the gas she chugs and then lets off a rifle shot backfire. She
then usually stalls. And if she stalls out, she often won't restart for a
long time, if at all.

I realized that it's not my revs that drop to zero, it's my tach needle. The
revs do struggle along, but my needle nose dives.
I've learned that "old VWs are know for their wiring going off." Is that
true, in your well-informed opinions?
Thoughts, gotos, ideas?
Thanks to all.
Legion