Not revs, tach.

You have an ignition problem.  Your tach dropping tells you that the
ignition system is suddenly not firing.   (The tach gets its signal from
the coil).
The backfire is caused by the same problem:  Pressing the accelerator is
allowing fuel and air into the cylinders, and then since it's not being
ignited, back into the exhaust, which is hot enough to ignite it.  BOOM.

I'm not an 8V person, so I'm not the one to ask about how to diagnose the
problem - but find out why the coil isn't firing (does your car have a Hall
sender?) and you'll solve the problem.

Jason