timing belt cover

Well, I figured it would be easier to find the oil leak in the mk2 instead of swapping trannys, but I've already ran into a snag. I can't get the timing belt cover off! I undid the 2 or 3 nuts on top but it appears that the plug that's on the side of the cover, partway down, is holding it in place. The Bently just calls it a socket bolt or something like that. However, the hole in the center of it seems to be circular and the outside of the plug is circular as well. How do I get this thing off?

Dan