(tech) More odometer questions...

Mike, no need to remove the dash or the steering wheel(if factory) to remove the instrument cluster. Remove the 2 screws on the cluster surround and the 1 screw from the cluster. From the bottom disconnect the two large plugs and then the speedo cable, center the steering wheel with the large opening on the top. And remove, pretty simple really.

Brian

Mike Smith <smithma7@yahoo.com> wrote:
I, too, anxiously await answers as I am going to be trying this fix soon. There's actually a lot I need to do in there, so I'm waiting on a few parts before I start. I want to do it all at once, so I don't have to take it apart more than once. I'm also hoping to accomplish it all in a weekend. Question: On the chance I can't finish it all before returning to work, is it worth leaving the dash and whatnot off while I drive? I'd put the instrument cluster back, but as I said above, I'd like to not have to remove dash, etc. more than once.

Mike

Cathy Boyko wrote:

Well, for whatever reason I finally decided to around get to fixing my
odometer. So I have it on my kitchen table, with a companion guinea pig
cluster, and am following Foxx in the Box'as tech notes. So I'm at "use the
small screwdriver to gently pry up the gold speedometer spring" step. but it
doesn't move.

So some questions, and I'd reallly like to get the car fixed for the WF trip
Friday morning.

SO:
1. Where do I pry the speedo needle, I'm assuming you apply pressure from
below ( with the screwdriver resting on the plastic housing , and pry up on
the brass ring that holds the spring to the speedo shaft, is that right? The
plastic just flexes, and the ring doesn't budge. On either of the clusters.
:(

2. I don't see any cracks in the gears, but the drive gear shaft slides
laterally through the barrels of the numbers, is there supposed to be anything
to resist this movement?

3. I'm assuming I need that spring assembly off to lift the odometer free of
the cluster, and this will reveal the gear that is the problem. Is there
anything else?

Thanks, I await your wisdom.

cathy (hey, at least I got this far on my own!)

word (wûrd)
interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to something. Sometimes used with up. Source