  From: Ben Channard
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 3:03 AM
  Subject: How to assess damage after rear impact?

       While waiting for the left turn arrow on Sunday morning I was hit on
  the rear bumper of my '81 Mk.1 by a current-gen Honda CRV at an estimated
  speed of less than 5 mph.  I don't see obvious damage--no marks on the
  bumper cover; cover doesn't appear scrunched against the body.  The bumper
  struts appear to have the look of an oily darkening as if an oil had seeped
  out from the collapsable elements.  This doens't look as  if oil had just
  been forced out--it  looks "old."

       I told the CRV driver that I'd call after inspecting my car.  Where and
  what can I inspect to survey any damage that my car may have incurred?
  Which joints, areas etc.  Are the bumper struts in fact oil-filled?  Is
  there a dimension that I can measure to assay if they've been pushed in?
  Yes,  I have the U.S. domestic "park bench" bumpers (and grateful for them).
    I'm not in full-on berserker mode but I'd like to avoid any nasty
  surprises in the future.  Thanks for any guidance, benton-----