How to assess damage after rear impact?

>From what I remember from my previous job (trainee bodyshop estimator)

The main things to look for in a rear impact are:
Damage to the Bumper,
Creasing of the rear wings/arches
Boot/trunk floor damage
Rear panel damage
boot lid not closing or sitting wrong.
also check the area round the bolts that hold the bumper as this is where
the main impact energy would have been transfered.
and check (from under the car) the boot/trunk floor and rear panel.

If you have a Digi camera post some pictures and I'm sure everyone will be
happy to have a look to see if they can spot anything.
The lists collective eyes are better than one pair also some mk1 owners can
compare to their own.

sorry to hear about the "fender bender",
Hope this helps,
Adam
'92 Scala 1.8i
'88 325i
http://www.geocities.com/little_log

                      "Ben Channard"
                      <zeroid@hotmail.com>        To:       scirocco-l@scirocco.org
                      Sent by:                    cc:
                      scirocco-l-bounces@s        Subject:  How to assess damage after rear impact?
                      cirocco.org

                      14/07/2003 11:03

     While waiting for the left turn arrow on Sunday morning I was hit on
the rear bumper of my '81 Mk.1 by a current-gen Honda CRV at an estimated
speed of less than 5 mph.  I don't see obvious damage--no marks on the
bumper cover; cover doesn't appear scrunched against the body.  The bumper
struts appear to have the look of an oily darkening as if an oil had seeped

out from the collapsable elements.  This doens't look as  if oil had just
been forced out--it  looks "old."

     I told the CRV driver that I'd call after inspecting my car.  Where
and
what can I inspect to survey any damage that my car may have incurred?
Which joints, areas etc.  Are the bumper struts in fact oil-filled?  Is
there a dimension that I can measure to assay if they've been pushed in?
Yes,  I have the U.S. domestic "park bench" bumpers (and grateful for
them).
  I'm not in full-on berserker mode but I'd like to avoid any nasty
surprises in the future.  Thanks for any guidance, benton-----