[Re: Mk1 Scirocco Center Console Q's]

There may have been a piece of metal (like 1/2" wide, 12" long and with 1/2
turned up for the "rivet" at each end.) It riveted into the back/bottom of the
console (with plastic rivetlike fasteners you have to cut off), it ties the
back together at "carpet" level. I stripped the 80 interior, that's how I
know, it's a PITA to get that strip out till you snip the fasteners. It's a
non AC car.
Cathy