From: "Kervin Ridgley" <kridgley@brownscar.com>
To: "list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: tools for tranny swap?

I got an idea from one of the posts about installing an engine without a
lift.  On my Golf, I use three 2X4's.  One in each of the "channels" the
sides of the hood rest in and one resting on these going left to right
across the engine bay.  I used a nylon tie down strap with a ratchet thing
that takes the slack out.  I was able to have the straps hold the
transmission and it was really easy to line it up and bolt it in.  It may
have taken longer than if I bench-pressed it in perfect the first time, but
there was no stress on me when I did it.