[OT] Video: Evo at Track

> but a perfect
> example of if you going to
> run the track, spend some cash on real tires for the
> track...

Actually, that had nothing to do with tires. That was
driver error. Period. No matter what tires they had.
It didn't look to me as though the tire blew...they
just entered the corner too fast, and at the wrong
angle to get the drift that they had been doing
earlier. Even if the reason the car went off is
because the tire blew, it was still driver
error...blown tires should never result in an
accident.

But, for the record, "real tires" will kill a novice
driver faster than a set of cheap all-seasons. They
let you go so much faster that the price for mistakes
becomes much higher, and the transition between 100%
grip and 0% grip happens MUCH more suddenly! Of
course, too fast is still too fast, but crappy tires
tend to have a very slow and forgiving transition to
traction loss if you are riding the line.

Kinda like putting a mere mortal like you or me in an
F1 car. What's the chance of us piling it up compared
to a Scirocco on the same course? Pretty high! Now, of
course, we're not talking about that kind of extreme,
but still the same idea.

If anything, this video proves it. The Evo comes with
tires from the factory that are 90% of a full-on race
tire. They're very similar to those on my Subaru. If
you haven't taken one of these vehicles to an
autocross or a track yet, you wouldn't believe what
those tires and AWD systems will let you do...and how
much trouble they can get you in if you aren't
careful!

Neal
'77 G60
'04 STi