Emergency help needed (again): Timing question (16V)

Hey Ryan,
         Remember that there are 2 notches in the flywheel -- one showing
TDC and one showing 6' advance.

         Using those marks to check cam timing is really not as accurate as
I like it, so I don't use them.  Obviously, if you have the lower timing
belt cover on, use that mark to determine TDC.  If not, this is the
fail-safe, fool-proof way of ensuring your motor is at TDC:  Line up the
engine to what you think is around TDC.  Remove spark plug from cylinder #1
(closest to timing belt).  Carefully place a long extension or screwdriver
down the hole so that it is resting on the piston.  Turning the engine
slightly using the 19mm crank bolt back and forth, watch the extension move
up and down, and you'll know exactly where TDC is.  With the timing belt
on, it's a piece of cake -- if the piston reverses directions at any point
other than where the cam timing mark lines up, you're a tooth off.

HTH
Jason