[audio] questions about subwoofers

1) the entire hatch of the mk2 is a huge enclosure for any number of subs,
and way too big for 8" subs.   The other problem is that it's way too
floppy.  Of course you can build a new wooden one and have decent results
with a specific 'freeair' subwoofer, 10" or 12".  It's still not the best
way it does work and it does sound decent.

2) The amp can be mounted onto the back of the seat, or on the side.
Doesn't really matter about vibrations.

3) Yes you can keep the existing radio but it doesn't have near enough power
to run the factory 4" speakers, let alone an 8" or 10".   The factory
speakers are very efficient and are designed to run on 5-10 watts.  You need
to purchase a subwoofer amplifier with your subs.   I recommed a class 'D'
sub amp. Here is a good one:
<http://ecominet2.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=MRP-M350&p_c
ategory=40&p_subcategory=106&p_main=10>

Just purchase a subwoofer in a small enclosure, most new 10" subs run in 1
cubic foot or smaller boxes, you can buy them for $20. The Sub and box combo
shouldn't cost you more than $150.  The amp will have a 'high level input'
which means you can feed it the signal right from the deck's speaker output.
It's a great way to add bass while keeping that factory look.

Have fun

Vince