Turbo vs. Supercharger. (long, technical, blabla)

Raffi,
ok, both you and Neal are correct...

however... (here we go)...

- the temperature rise from compressing the air far outweighs the heating
caused by conduction heat transfer from the turbine impeller.

lest take a "perfect" increase in pressure:
if you start at 25c (77f), and boost to 1 bar (15 psi), the resulting
temperature is 90c (194f)
if you take into account an (optimistic) turbine compressor efficiency of
70%, that resulting temperature jumps to 117c (242f). yes, your air
temperature has jumped by 92c (165f), and is now pretty damned hot.

while examining these numbers, it is important to note that the compressor
efficiency value takes into account conduction heat transfer (from the hot
compressor turbine to the cool air stream), as well as the heat build-up due
to pure work-related inefficiencies (due to air-blade friction, etc). that
70% value caused us another 27c (48f) jump in temperature. assuming half of
that temperature jump was due to the conduction heat transfer, our hot
turbine has only caused us a 13c (24f) temperature jump. comparing that to
the original 65c (117f) jump, you can see just how small that effect really
is compared to all of the other energy you are dumping into that intake air
stream.

- also of note, the supposed "cold pump" of a supercharger will quickly get
heated. not to turbo temperatures mind you, but it wont exactly be sitting
at ambient either. even with an externally compressing supercharger, it is
still doing work on the air, and this will still cause energy (heat) to be
absorbed by the supercharger itself, heating it.

- on the flip side (back to the turbo), cool air rapidly flying by a turbine
impeller blade will quickly cool that blade. the turbine impeller may be hot
at idle, but it quickly 'cools as it spools' (nice catch phrase, eh? heheh).
even with a 900f exhaust blade, the heat simply cant transfer across the
narrow coupling shaft as fast as the cooler intake air can strip heat from
the intake blading.

phew!
ok, enough geek-dom for today.

jeesh, you'd think i was doing calcs for the twin or something... <g> :)

hth
Al

Allyn Malventano, ETC(SS), USN
87 Rieger Scirocco GTO 2.0 16v (daily driver, 190k, rocco #6)
86 Kamei Twin 16V Turbo Scirocco GTX (30% complete, rocco #7)
86.5 Occo 16v Trailer (rocco #8)
87 Jetta 8v Wolfsburg 2dr (wifes daily, 285k)