Help needed - Clutch pedal/adjustment woes

I'm having this really strange problem adjusting my clutch. The engagement area is WAY too close to the floor and consequently, I can't really fully engage the clutch when it's supposedly properly adjusted. This is in my cabby which I just installed a 2L 16v. Tranny is a 4k with new pushrod throwout bearing. New clutch cable installed today (after I snapped the scirocco cable I tried to use (had same problem)).

The one thing I can see that would contribute to this is that the sleeve that's fused to the pedal cluster (the one that's supposed to house the clutch cable once it penetrates the firewall) has busted off. I have a replacement cluster from my 16v if that is the problem (but I'm dreading it.) But the one thing that keeps me from totally believeing it's this is that cable appears to be seating in the right place at the firewall...

Other things I'm guessing it could potentially be:  damaged pushrod, bent throwout arm...

Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction - my wife is getting tired of me spending every evening until bedtime wrenching on the damn cabby (and so am I!). [/rant]

thanks for listening if nothing else -

JT