[where to start?]

Well, there is grease that's similiar in consistancy of moly lube. It's also definitely motor oil that's spread around, I'd recognize the smell of gear oil. It looks as if oil pooled on the inside of my rim and then when I drove, it splattered around the rest of the rim because there's one spot that's got a black pool mark as well as oil on the inside of the tire in that spot. The only place I can see a little oil from looking top-down is the 2nd spark plug hole from the left when facing the block (3rd piston I think). Other than that, the top of the block is dry. It's weird how oil is everywhere underneath though. I think I'm going to go buy some ramps, drive the car up them at a diy carwash and wash the whole underside of the car so maybe I have a better chance of spotting the leak.

Cathy Boyko <losinit@usa.net> wrote:CV stuff will be more gummy and black, if it's engine oil, it may start way to
heck and gone and follow seams and ridges, and end up far from where it is
actually leaking out. If it was the DS, brake fluid from the MC/prop valve is
yet another candidate, and I doubt that gear oil (which would originate on the
diff area) would travel that far. So I'd go by how tar like it is, if it is
tar like, inspect the CV boot, you'll find it with your fingers, ew.... can
you tell mine's had a few leaks? Still leaking actually. So far, gas from
three spots, brake fluid from two, CV grease once, gear oil about fifteen
different times, oil from about five spots (the toughest to find was the oil
temp sender on the back top DS of the head, it looked like it was coming from
near the timing belt) and now antifreeze. Gotta love this car. Klaus "opened"
with oil from the bell housing...Cathy

Dan Smith wrote:
> Gah, the mk2 has decided to revolt. First, the spring and bolt that holds
one side of the header to the cat decided it'd had enough and disappeared.
This makes for a gap right there which equals a pretty loud exhaust. That's
not that big of a deal though. What is, is when I was trying to find the cause
of the loud exhaust, I noticed my passenger side front rim covered in oil.
After further inspection, that entire front side of the car is covered in oil.
There's drips off the filter, off the oil pan, the sway bar, everything.
There's what looks like black moly grease on the CV joint (? the rubber bit at
the end of the axle, before it connects to the rotor and stuff) and the bottom
of the strut on that side is black and slick with oil. So I'm thinking my
strut blew, that axle area is leaking grease (though it does look in good
shape) and the oil decided to evacuate from the car. I checked my oil, it is
way down there, though not enough to set off the buzzer yet which does work.
> though all that oil might be from the strut going, but it looks doubtful.
>From the top looking down, everything seems fine. Any suggestions as to where
I should start looking for the leak? There's oil sprayed over the inside of
the front pass. tire, the inner part of the rim and everything on that half of
the car has drips.