Considering rewiring need input

Since it's too cold to paint and my Scirocco is stripped down, I've been
toying with the idea of upgrading the wiring.  When I bought the car, the
horn and dome light were not working.  It also appears as if there was some
sort of fire in the fuse relay panel, also.  So, I thought it might be a
good idea to upgrade the wiring throughout while everything was easily
accessable.  By upgrading, I mean creating new harnesses using wire that is
one guage higher than the original.  Has anyone ever attempted this?  Any
suggestions/hints?  Are the connectors reusable?  Is it more trouble than
its worth?