Being screwed by the police

Now I know i screwed up BIG TIME and if you want to
flame me go ahead.  I was being stupid and I realize
that know. Any way just thought I say that first thing

I got into an accedent in October with my friend in my
beloved scirocco.  I was speeding somewhere between 40
and 50 i guess ( my speedo wasen't working so i don't
know for sure) in a 25.  I was going down hill around
an island when my right front tire went into a 8 inch
deep dranage hole.  It poped the front end of my car
up and i lost control.  I started to fishtale and i
corrected it twice but on third time it just stuck
sideways and all for wheels lost traction.  I begane
sliding down the street and the car begain pulling to
the left side of the road and slid into a parked car
effectly T-boning us on the passenger side. My friend
was injurred pretty badly.( she okay now though, Thank
god)

The police have had my car since October 16th and they
have treated me with felony reckless driving but they
have charged me with it yet.  I have been calling the
police officer every two weeks since the accident and
he tells me that he has no new info for me. When I
called last second to last time (Jan 1) he said that
he had just finished the report and was sending it
down to the prosicuting office. but the last time I
called he said that he was almost done with the paper
work and then he would send it to the prosicuting
office.  Every time i have called him he has made
little excuses for why its taking so long.

My questions are: do they have the right to take so
long? what rights do I have? what can I do?  Has
anyone had any similar experiences?  How did they pan
out?

=====
Robbie MacDonald
scirocco8valve@yahoo.com