1.8 Vs. 2.0 Revisited AKA why 1.8 instead of a 2.0 head

I feel I need to chime in here.

First, I think Haygood's got a good point about the availability of the
heads and that this would defineately need to be taken into consideration
before using TT's record of what type of head they used in 93.

Secondly, most of what is on our cars are not in stock form so stock numbers
are actually rather irrelevant unless you are going to go through the hassle
of rebuilding a head, installing cams, springs, etc. etc. and not touch the
ports.  Even then, unless you can find a 1.8L 16v motor with low miles, I
would defineately think that the lower mileage 91-93 2.0L heads would be
more attractive since they are newer with less wear and tear.

Lastly, using both the EC stats and the TT charts you can see that the
amount of difference in the 1.8L heads favor when comparing the intake ports
is dwarfed by the amount the 2.0L flows over the 1.8L on the exhaust side.
I realize that you have to get air into the head before it can leave the
head but two things are significant here.  One is that on both heads the
intake ports flow better than the exhaust ports so the air that is coming in
is larger than the air going out.  Plus, the air going out is based on the
piston shoving it out which is (I believe) a stronger force than the vacuum
created by the piston to get air into the head (thus the larger intake ports
for the lesser force vacuum has). Secondly, a better flowing exhaust port
will scavenge the heat away from the head/motor better.  That means lower
heat and a more efficient burning of the fuel.  I think we all know how
significant it is to get cooler air into the combustion chamber.

Overall, I don't think you can beat the 2.0L head since no one that realized
that the differences are miniscule and are a little tipped in the 2.0L
head's favor.  What that means is that you can get more money for your 1.8L
head and pay less for a 2.0L head.  I got mine for free and it only had 60K
on it!!

Oh, and one last little item.  Although I agreed with BH that the
availability was an issue, I need to correct him when he says that a larger
port is better.  Larger would be better with high boost race cars and even
then the shape is still more important.  The fact that the 2.0L head has
more material in it's ports is a very good thing not only for even better
shaping but also for added cooling.  Remember that hot oil and coolant run
through the head and weave in and out of the ports throughout the head.
Plus, a little low end torgue is nice when you have the monster top end
power that a 2.0L 16v with the right mods can give you!  HTH!!

Dave