Bentley electrical test procedures...

The Bentley says that when using a voltmeter, always connect/disconnect the probes with the ignition off.  Tomorrow, I plan on testing my knock box & fuel computer (again).  Since there are so many terminal tests, (and only me testing - no helpers), it will be a pain to get the test probes to stay, then go flip ignition on, then off, then... etc.
Would it really damage anything if I connected/disconnected them with the ignition on?