What type of gauge is this???

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:06:23PM -0800, Eric S wrote:
> Dan, it is kp/cm^3 if I remember correctly.  I had one of these guages.  And Dave, yes, it is from a 924.  Good luck finding the proper sending unit, if you have it, great, if not, toss the guage, its basically worthless without a good sending unit.

OK, the engineer in me got WAY too curious as to what this all means, so I
did some research.  It turns out that kp is not an abbreviation for
kilopascal, that's kPa.  kp is an abbreviaton for kilopond.  And what the
hell is a kilopond?  A kilopond is the force equivialant of one kilogram
(mass) at 1g (standard earth gravity.) or  9.80665 newtons.  When I went
to school, this was refered to as a kilogram-force, (kgf) I've never
heard of a kilopond before today.  Anyway, that would make kp/cm^2 a unit
of pressure and kp/cm^3 a unit of density.  Since I'm pretty sure I've
never seen a density gauge in a car, lets assume that kp/cm^2 is
correct.  In that case, 1 kp/cm^2 is equal to .9807 bar.  I thought this
metric crap was supposed to make more sense than imperial measurement.

Dan