[OT] Totally non Roc - Steelers Win, Niners Win, Raiders Nextweek.

Rabbit16v wrote:

> I was just watching ESPN and they said that the NFL Officials admitted that
> they made a mistake on the last play for the Giants.  When they threw the 3
> flags it was for pass interference, then after they pow wowed about it they
> decided that he was an ineligable receiver.  A big no no when it comes to
> refereeing.  When you throw a flag, you can't change the reason why you
> threw it later on.  If they were to call it correctly, odds are that NY
> would of won because they would of been able to try a field goal from the
> 3ish yard line.

You're wrong on a couple of points.

The refs are able to pick up a flag and declare "no penalty" after
throwing one, so they are certainly allowed to change why they threw it
- hell we don't even know yet why they threw the thing(s) until they
announce it anyways.

Also, if the correct call had been made, there would have been
offsetting penalties - ineligible receiver(s) downfield, and the
defensive pass interference.  Offsetting penalties means the ball
returns to the original line of scrimmage - meaning another 41-yard
attempt for a kicker who couldn't find the goal posts with a radar
vector.   :P

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA