jh firing on 3cyl. intermittent

> Hey listers I am still having the same problem with my JH 1.8L 8V (cis not
> cis-e) that I have had since I owned this car.  I've posted about this a lot
> and have done everything to try to figure it out and fix it.  Even one of
> the local VW mechanics couldn't figure it out.
>
> Problem: Engine fires on 3 cyl. intermittently and usually acts up after
> hammer the throttle....
>
> Things checked:
>
> 1) Compression 125 psi.........very good

125 across all four? That sounds a little low but I'm used to 16v figures.

Make sure you check all cylinders because you could have a valve that
is sticking open or something along that line.

> 2) Spark.......yes there was a great spark....new Bosch +4 platinum plugs,
> new bosch wires, new bosch cap and rotor

Is it the correct cap? My brother bought a cap for his golf once and it
was even a Bosch cap, it fit fine but turns out it was the wrong one and
his car ran like crap for many months until he discovered that it was for
the wrong distributor.

> 3) fuel)  yes there was fuel flowing and we checked the spray pattern and it
> was excellent!!!

Did you check all four injectors?

> Things replaced recently: Fuel pump and Fuel filter.
>
> SO WTF?
>
> If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to enlighten me :)

Don't forget #4 - timing!

People always check for fuel, spark and compression but forget timing! It
sounds like since your engine runs on 3 cylinders you have it at least
somewhat correct. Check ignition as well as valve timing. I had my car run
like crap for a long time and it turns out my timing belt had jumped 3
teeth! And it was 16v too, ouch! (no damage found)

HTH

-Toby