Car Books

I don't know all of the books you suggested, but I'll renew my
recommendation (made before on this list) regarding Don
Alexander's "High Performance Handling Handbook".  I have this book
as well the earlier "edition" called Performance Handling.  The new
one has a good writeup on tuning an A1, but is most valuable for
it's excellent explanations of the principles behind tuning each
part of the car.  Chapters on steering, suspension, tires, etc. each
clarify their subject well.  He is not afraid to make
recomendations, but is more in the business of explaining clearly
what makes your car work and how to make it work better.  Good
reading.

Carol Smith's books are more difficult to read and are more geared
toward people building purpose-built race cars.  You will find info
like the best way to rivet a bracket onto a stressed skin, best and
worst ways to weld tube joints together, where to buy your oil
hoses, etc.   Wouldn't recommend them unless you are basically
building a car.

BH

 --- On Fri 01/03, Joe Doty  wrote:From: Joe Doty [mailto: Joe.Doty@lcnetwork.com]To: rapieper@yahoo.com     Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.orgDate: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 11:04:17 -0800Subject: RE: Car BooksAlthough there is some good info in "How to Make Your Car Handle" someof the information is laughably old.  The guy shows show much suspensionmodding to pintos and leaf-spring cars, it's ridiculous.  I haven't readthe Carroll Smith books, but leafing through them they look a lot moregeneralized and theoretical.Joe DotyIT/Developmentjoe@lcnetwork.com -----Original Message-----From: Ron Pieper [mailto:rapieper@yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 4:31 AMTo: Ken B; ListSubject: Re: Car BooksI have and recommend:+Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management by Charles Pobst (a Bentleybook)+How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn (not VW specific)+Engineer To Win by Carroll Smith, but this is very race car specific+Power Secrets by Smokey Yunick but this is very Chevy small blockspecific+Secrets of Solo Racing by Henry Watts (only for autox and solo I). Wow.OK:=How to Tune and Modify Bosch Fuel Injection by Ben Watson (not great,not bad, not necessary if you have the Pobst book)I have and am not in love with:-The Raven book-The Schroder bookThe main reason that I don't love the Schroder and Raven books is thatthey offer tons of choices but little in opinions.  They lay out everymod on a big smorgasbord but seem to avoid trying to piss off suppliersby avoiding statements like "don't buy XYZ's whatzit, use ABC's insteadBECAUSE..."  Between the two, the Schoeder book is a better IIRC because it breaksdown choices for certain uses, like street, autox, IT, etc.Best prices have always been at alldirect.com in my experience.HTHRon--- Ken B  wrote:> I am about to add to my modest library and I thought I'd put to the> list a> couple titles I saw at the local B&N tonight.....> "Bosch Fuel Injection Systems"  by  Forbes Aird   2001> "Volkswagen Sport Tuning"   by  Per Schroeder   1999> The latter was a good inch thick focussing each chapter on seperate> systems> on the car.  Brakes, Exhaust, etc> I have the Greg Raven   ...Performance Handbook and the Schroeder> book looks> similar in layout but more material and about 14yrs newer so a lot of> A2 and> A3 stuff.> Any experiance with eiter of thee or other recomendations?__________________________________________________Do you Yahoo!?Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.http://mailplus.yahoo.com_______________________________________________Scirocco-l mailing listScirocco-l@scirocco.orghttp://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l_______________________________________________Scirocco-l mailing listScirocco-l@scirocco.orghttp://neubayern.net/mailman/listinfo/scirocco-l

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.