burning oil?

--- Michael Abatzis <abatzis2@hotmail.com> wrote:
> is that true? isn't normal operating temp > the thermo opening temp? so when
> the engine's warm, the thermo isn't open all the way? my impression was the
> thermostat is either open or closed...

No!  That's why the 'stat is there in the first place!  An engine without a 'stat generally won't
warm up, unless idling in warm weather.  Ask my wife - I just replaced hers in the minivan - heat
finally.  And years ago, when Dad's Chevy Pickup's 350 crank snout broke off, the way I got it to
my house (20 miles away) for a rebuild was to drive it with the 'stat removed (and crank like hell
since the power steering wasn't working).  The engine never got up to temp.

The 'stat is an analog device...not binary.