idling, running problems...HELP before I get killed in traffic!!!!!

a nasty running problem has made itself known in a big way in the
'rocc....16v, backfiring and sputtering at idle, missing badly all through
the range....at first it got better after it had been run, but now it just
shows up randomly, usually at the worst times (like when I go to merge on a
busy street, I accelerate, and it just DIES, still running, but not going
anywhere...) seems the only time it will accelerate normally is when the full
throttle enrichment switch is depressed...then the car accelerates like a bat
out of hell, which is not, repeat, NOT fun when it's icy out... could it be
the O2 sensor? the coolant temp sensor?  what?

Patrick Boyle
'87 Scirocco 16v
'87 Cabriolet
'84 Rabbit GTI