rust rears its ugly head...when does it become a lost cause? (long)

--0-597229000-1045962769=:43581

I had suspected that there may be some deeper rust issues because I found that the strut towers showed some beginning signs of separation.

Well, I finally got around to getting under the carpet and under the noise padding and found more crud. Photos can be seen at:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jtoomasson/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&.view=t

The only two points where there are actual holes is near front of the passenger side floor pan and towards the front of the rear passenger side pan. Both holes are no bigger than a dime and the surrounding metal feels intact for the most part.

But I started doing some more digging. I stripped off a little of the bondo near the fender flares to see how easy it would be remove in case I had to remove the fender to fix the shock tower situation. That's when I found the PO had gone nuts with the rivets...

When I start adding all this up, I get nervous. I do not have problem welding two, three, four, five patches in to fix all this stuff, I do not have a problem grinding out all the rust from the pan, I do not have a problem welding the shock towers if I could be assured they'd come out good as new or better...but patching 50+ rivets holes with  no guarantee there isn't already rust behind them??  I want to have mk1 that's going to be CLEAN - I don't want to spend 5000 hours and $5000 only to have it fall apart in a couple of years...

At what point do I call the coroner? Did I make a poor choice? I mean, I got the thing for $200 primarily because it had an original ragtop which I could remove if it came down to it. I could easily get that money back from parts...I keep hearing that Cali rocs have little-to-no rust. Should I start again?

Thanks for letting me rant.  Jeff

--0-597229000-1045962769=:43581

<P>I had suspected that there may be some deeper rust issues because I found that the strut towers showed some beginning signs of separation.</P>
<P>Well, I finally got around to getting under the carpet and under the noise padding and found&nbsp;more crud. Photos can be seen at:</P>
<P><A href="http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jtoomasson/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&amp;.view=t";>http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jtoomasson/lst?.dir=/My+Photos&amp;.view=t</A>&nbsp;</P>
<P>The only two points where there are actual holes is near front of the passenger side floor pan and towards the front of the rear passenger side pan. Both holes are no bigger than a dime and the surrounding metal feels intact for the most part.</P>
<P>But I started doing some more digging. I stripped off a little of the bondo near the fender flares to see how easy it would be remove in case I had to remove the fender to fix the shock tower situation. That's when I found the PO had gone nuts with the rivets...</P>
<P>When I start adding all this up, I get nervous. I do not have problem welding two, three, four, five patches in to fix all this stuff, I do not have a problem grinding out all the rust from the pan, I do not have a problem welding the shock towers if I could be assured they'd come out good as new or better...but patching 50+ rivets holes with&nbsp; no guarantee there isn't already rust behind them??&nbsp; I want to have mk1 that's going to be CLEAN - I don't want to spend 5000 hours and $5000 only to have it fall apart in a couple of years...</P>
<P>At what point do I call the coroner? Did I make a poor choice? I mean, I got the thing for $200 primarily because it had an original ragtop which I could remove if it came down to it.&nbsp;I could easily get that money back from parts...I keep hearing that Cali rocs have little-to-no rust. Should I start again?</P>
<P>Thanks for letting me rant.&nbsp; Jeff</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
--0-597229000-1045962769=:43581--