MK1 xtreme cardboard cover action

Hi guys n gals,

This is kind of a dumb question so I apologize in advance. I just finally
managed to find the cardboard, carpeted cover for the luggage compartment of
my '81 at a junkyard-missing when I purchased the car. I have it sitting in
there, but what is the deal with those two rubber straps with holes?
Obviously, they are meant to attach somehow to the corresponding holes in the
metal on either side. But not permanently? Are they supposed to hook onto
something temporarily only when you have the cover raised?

Regards,
Courtney