Desperation... any more ideas (16V problems)?

OK, when you use a test LED, did you use the resistor as the Bentley says?  If so, what are the specs on it?

OK, so I'm going to do the following when I next go home:
a.) check for telltale signs of woodruff key puree. ;)
b.) LED test the knock box
c.) check rpm timing advance

The only problem I see (for 'c'), is that my problem comes and goes... so it may seem to advance with rpm, but only cause it's running good at the time.

So, since my problem comes and goes, can I rule out anything mechanical (stuck lifter, bent valve, etc.)?  The engine was rebuilt 50,000 miles ago.