[RE: Re: [[OT]Buying a]

Eric S <scirocco81@vwmail.net> wrote:

--- <joshhignight@techography.net> wrote:
>Thanks.
>Actually, I've been leaning towards looking at the Camrys and Accords mo=
re
than anything else. Owner approval, reliability, and the general niceness=
 of
the cars appeals. And they don't look half bad either. Personally, I want=

something safe, reliable, and nice, as this car would be for the lady tha=
t is
potentially going to be wife. More on that later though...

>So, any other suggestions? How are the A3 TDI's as far as reliablity iss=
ues
and such?

A3 TDIs are simpler and more reliable than the A4s by a mile.  Nothing to=

worry about on the motor what so ever (just use good diesel rated oil and=

change the timing belt religiously like a 16v).  Now the rest of the
car....well, you get what you pay for (mexican built VW).  If it was me, =
I'd
be on the hunt for a 96 or 97 Passat TDI.  Both the Passat and the 97-98 =
Jetta
TDIs would be in your price range, with less than 100k miles on them and
pristine condition.

If you want to brush up on TDIs, head here:  www.tdiclub.com

They really are a kickass solution to todays fuel costs....I miss my 2000=
 Golf
GL TDI....but I don't miss its non-reliability.  If I had bought one of t=
he
older jettas or Passats to begin with, I'd still own it.  The newer TDIs =
have
issues with MAF sensors, glow plug harnesses, etc.  My car was at the dea=
ler 4
or 5 times in 2 years and 20k miles for repair work due to check engine
lights, etc.

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg

Mine's not been bad (except for the chip adventure, didn't work for my ca=
r,
still not sure why). 4 Years and 130 000 kms, so it's had the chance to
misbehave, and the only times it did were when it was chipped. And it's a=
 slow
starter, but that may be a Beetle specific issue (small battery, no space=
). If
I wasn't so cheap it'd have a 1.8T under the hood though. I can't see it =
being
as easy going as the old A2s though.
Cathy