Electric gremlins revisited

> > Has any body had experience with blaupunkt stereos??
>
>My Scirocco factory-fit was a blaupunkt

....this is a miami I think, with a JVC CD changer in the trunk (which is
disconnected at the moment to find the drain) installed by the previouse
owner

>Drains how bad? It should drain a little to keep the insides live and
>the so the presets/time in memory.

.....the drain is 0.03v per min / 1.8v per hr

>Test the wires with a meter or a bulb, see which is ignition switched
>and which is permanently live, Wire as per the manual.

....Did all that when I un-installed and re-installed, and  connected as it
should be with all new connectors and meter tested the wires to determin the
batt wire and the ign wire.

>You will not be able to keep the presets/time without _some_ drain,
>unless the stereo has it's own internal backup battery.
>Maybe you should be looking at a new battery or alternator? My Scirocco
>will start after a month or two, with the stereo connected and presets
>retained.

It has a new battery and the altenator is cranking out 13.98v. the radio can
kill the battery in most cases overnight. My scirocco can sit up with its
sony, alarm, & clock and still start after long periods, but this Jetta and
blaupunkt will never make it past two days.