How much tire can I fit in my wheel wells?

You can fit anything as long as it doesn't rub. :)

Seriously though, that's about it. There are SO many
variables. Rim diameter/width/offset, **actual** tire
diameter/width (not just what the label says),
spring/strut stiffness, spring/strut type, and static
spring height are the main ones. It isn't really
possible to give you a formula. The best you can hope
for is to find out what other people have run and if
that fit. If you can't find someone with experience
running the setup you want, you're on your own and
will have to experiment.

All that being said, a 17x8.5 with any tire is
probably not going to fit a 16v with lowering springs.
You might get a 17" rim to fit if it is real narrow
(7"...maybe 7.5"), has just the right offset, and has
a super-low-profile tire...but it'll be tight.

I had 16x7.5 ET35 rims with 205/40-16 tires that just
barely fit. I had to use 8mm spacers in the rear to
keep the rim/tire off the springs, and that of course
made it rub a bit on the outside over really big
bumps.

At the same time, I am currently running 225/50-15's
(and they're actually bigger than the label says) that
rub pretty bad front and rear of stock Corrado G60
(ET38??) wheels. I tried to mount them on my BBS
wheels (ET25, I think), and they won't even steer
full-lock in the front without hitting something.

Neal