Rear Main Seal trouble

The seal carrier comes off simple enough with the seal.  As I look at it,
should the surface of the seal carrier have some kind of sealant on it when
it is bolted back to the block.  Especially the lower part that is outside
the perimeter of the seal itself.  Including the bottom of the carrier that
sets on the top of the oil pan flange.  Seems like there is just metal
(carrier) to metal (block) where there should be some type of leak
prevention.  I guess I just dont understand that part very well.
BTW I did see some evidence of hardened "goop" on the lower area of the seal
carier on dissasembly. That is also what got me thinking.