probably ground problem but need input anyways(UPDATE)

--- Dan Smith <sad_rocc@veedub.com> wrote:

> Sweet, just what an unemployed poor college student wants
> to hear. Well, I took it for a short drive today, here's
> what happened. Started up fine, let it warm up for about
> 5min without a problem. Threw the lights on, stereo, ect
> and it was ok for a few but then the battery light
> started flickering on and off. After a few, it went solid
> on and the heater, which was on high, slowed down
> considerably. The light went off and on during my 10min
> drive but stayed more on than off. I turned the heater
> down to 2, shut off the fogs, stereo and radar detector
> and it went back to just flickering and/or coming on for
> a few seconds and then going off for a little longer. I
> still haven't popped the hood to check battery connection
> and stuff. All the lines to the battery should be tight
> and I'm not familiar enough with these cars yet to spot
> something wrong unless its real obvious. Here in
> Steamboat, we don't have an Autozone or anything to test
> the alt. I have to go to Denver tommorrow (2 1/2hr drive,
> half of it in middle of nowhere land). Wish me luck.
>
> Dan

Dan - it's almost assuredly the voltage regulator / brush
assembly.  I would strongly suggest NOT going to Denver
tomorrow as when the light is on, you're running the entire
car on battery power - so you will likely get stranded.
The assembly is easy to change and much cheaper than a new
alternator.

> Sign up for FREE email yourname@veedub.com
> from http://www.veedub.com

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '66 Cessna 150, '82 Scirocco.
"Any idiot can face a crisis.  It's this day to day living that wears you out." - Anton Chekhov